Monday, April 18, 2011

What happened to Subbu?


The human mind is complex. Nobody knows its depths and what lies stored there. Most of us know only some of the impressions connected with day to day life. How about the myriads of memories and patterns registered in its million cells? One can never guess what can come out of its depth which can change the life of an individual beyond recognition. I am not sure if I have made the point clear. The best example I can give is what we see in dreams at times. You see yourself in a totally unexpected perspective. After you wake up the dream haunts you for many days.
Subramaniam was an active lawyer. He was married and had a son. He had a house in a good locality. Subramaniam known as Subbu to his associates and friends was not a sociable individual, but was also not a recluse.
I was not intimate with Subbu, but used to see him occasionally. While the gents of our locality meet seldom, the ladies have numerous chances to meet and exchange gossip under the garb of pleasantries. They visit the temple nearby almost every day. They also chat with neighbours on a regular basis. There are also social and religious functions in which fair exchange of information takes place. The trouble with men is that they are mostly self centered and don’t bother much about people around. A lady cannot remain long without people contact.
My wife Chellam, who has the habit of disturbing me whenever I snatch a bit of time to study an interesting book asked me one night,” do you know what is wrong with Subbu?”. I was rudely shocked as I had met Subbu only 2 days earlier at the bank. “Why what happened to him?” I asked her. “It seems he is not taking interest in the family now a days”, replied Chellam. I was not surprised by what she said as it was the usual grievance against men. But later events proved her right.
Change does not happen in one day. It takes place gradually and slowly. I could surely note some minor aberrations in Subbu’s personality one day as he was passing by the road. Subbu would normally be attired immaculately in a well pressed pant and a shirt with a clean shaven face and well combed hair. He was working as an officer in the secretariat. The man I saw on that particular day was surely Subbu, but wearing a 4 yards dhoti and a white jibba with lot of wrinkles. He had evidently not shaven, and was walking with a measured gait. His gaze was not on the road but at a distant point on the horizon. The only positive feature I could notice was that there was a streak of unusual brightness in his face which normally would be clouded with a worried frown.
My maternal grandfather was around 70 years of age at that time. He was well known for his erudition on Hindu scriptures and spiritual practices. People of the locality used to meet him and learn a lot on religion. Granddad (Thatha) would give advice to one and all without any bias. One day I had to return home early from office and to my surprise saw Subbu seriously discussing some issue with Thatha. When after an hour of consultation, Subbu left our house he was carrying few books with him. Thatha usually maintains strict confidentiality on his clients’ issues but in Subbu’s case he shared a bit of information with me. I learnt that Subbu had suddenly taken interest on spiritualism and was spending most of his time in reading scriptures and attending lectures. Thatha had written several books on his own spiritual experiences, and he was too glad to lend out few books to Subbu for reading.
I was not happy with the turn of events. What made a person in the prime of youth, with good job and nice family turn to spiritualism? The answer could not be simple. Further news on Subbu was not encouraging. Subbu was taking leave from work quite often on the pretext of visiting holy places. He had grown a full length beard and had made it a practice to wear saffron coloured jibba and dhoti alone. Colleagues in his office started calling him “Saamiyar” meaning a monk.
No one would have been pained much if only Subbu had maintained certain amount of moderation in his activities. While he had every right to pursue spiritual activities, Subbu did the mistake of neglecting his family. As his wife was not employed and the family was depending only on his salary for sustenance, tension started mounting and alarm bells started ringing in nook and corner of the family circle. In those days families did not go to a court for solution and most affairs were sorted out within the family.
I was most surprised to see Subbu’s father in law and mother in law on an afternoon in our house talking to my mother (Amma). While Thatha was a spiritual guide, Amma was recognized as a consultant on family affairs. Amma was able to resolve both simple and difficult family problems. As I was anxious about Subbu I surreptitiously moved to a corner and listened to the entire proceeding. Subbu’s in-laws were terribly pained with his activities. He was not paying attention not only to his wife but also to his son. He was not even handing over his salary to his wife. They had also learnt that his spiritual activities were energized after his talk with Thatha. They wanted Amma to advise them. Amma cooled them substantially by offering the best coffee she ever made. She also gave them in addition hot crisp Vaazhakai (Plantain fruit) bhajjis for which she was famous. Finally while sending them off she promised to settle the entire matter within 2 days.
Amma had lot of love for Thatha but in the case of Subbu she decided to take the cudgel on hand. Thatha had real tough time explaining to Amma what he told Subbu. “I never asked him to do silly things. I only cleared his doubts” was his meek affidavit. Amma sensed the seriousness of the issue and the matter was taken to father the highest level at our family council. It was unanimously decided that Thatha would call for Subbu and give him a bit of frank talk.
None of us knew what exactly happened during Thatha’s chat with Subbu. I could notice Subbu coming out after an hour of talk with Thatha in a hurried manner. There were tears in his eyes and his face was flustered. Amma understood from Thatha that his talk was well received and positive results could be expected soon.
I was too busy to know the happenings in our locality for some time but the bombshell landed one day after a month or so. Chellam exploded the news.” Do you know what your friend Subbu has done? He has got a transfer to Madurai. He and his family left for Madurai yesterday”.
I have not got any more information on Subbu till date. Is he still running the family or turned in to a full time Saamiyar? God alone knows. It is very strange that in life some people suddenly disappear from the scene as in a film or drama. I still have few queries which have remained unanswered. What made Subbu to turn to spiritualism? Can a major transformation suddenly happen to somebody? What made Subbu to seek a transfer to Madurai?
At least for the last question I can guess some answer. Subbu’s act of shifting to Madurai was a clever ploy to divert the attention of people of the locality. As Madurai was a new place fewer people would be interested in his activities and he can pursue it in his own way. Thatha was surely a clever person. He had worked in the revenue department of the government and had worked closely with lawyers, district collectors and officials. I am sure that Subbu got the advice from Thatha to move away from the trouble spot and avoid undue public criticism.
As for as sudden onset of Spiritualism in a person is concerned even though there is no clear answer, I feel the spark can get ignited in any body at any time. There need not be a strong reason or provocation. It is evidently related to the complexity of the human mind.

No comments: