There were two of them when I look out of my windows. About 50 feet tall with slender branches and sparse leaves. The drum stick trees were jutting out from the compound of the house 2 buildings away.You can't call them beauties but somewhat attractive in all their simplicity and caressing my spirit which was wounded a little bit at that time.
I used to gaze at them as they swung to the force of the afternoon sea breeze. It is customary in these parts of the country with strong sun and monsoon rains to grow drum stick trees. The drum stick is a delicious vegetable which people here relish much.
Usually the tree is pruned as it grows to keep it at a reachable height, but with these trees no body paid attention and had grown to a great height.
As I gazed at the trees I could feel that there was magic power oozing out from them and enveloping me.I felt an emotional surge as though I was a part of the nature and found myself slowly drifting in to absolute peace.
Suddenly a pair of parrots flew in and descended on one of the branches. What a sight it was! With their bright green plumage and cherry red beaks the parrots offered a heavenly sight to me with the back drop of the dark leaves of the tree and azure blue background of the tropical mid day sky.
The parrots stay on the tree lasted only a few minutes, as though they were dropping on a way side motel during their long highway journey. Once the parrots left, there were other visitors too. There were bunches of Mynas and cuckoos which used the facility to their heart content.
I was observing the trees for only a few hours as I was working on the computer. But I could surely see that the trees were serving as birds inns. The crows were also building nests in the lower branches and chasing other birds from using the trees.
As somebody had said I found to my chagrin that all good things don't last forever.
One morning as I looked at the drum stick trees I found that one of the trees had been cut by half. In the next few days it was totally cut. But still the bird population did not dwindle but made the best use of the single tree that was left unharmed.
In the following months I dropped the habit of gazing at the tree as I was busy travelling. But one day as I looked out through the window the solitary drum stick tree also had gone.No more birds visited the neighbourhood. The joy and thrill I experienced were completely shattered.
I could realise that unless most of the people of this world develop an affinity for other living beings inclusive of trees and plants,talking and writing on green themes are not going to help save the world from extinction. Man alone cannot live and enjoy. He should sacrifice and allow other living beings also to lead their life.
Tuesday, November 3, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment